In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Match Report

Barnsley 3
Own Goal, Wardle, Mallan
Hull City 0

The Under-23s went down to a second successive defeat when they were beaten 3-0 by Barnsley at Oakwell Training Ground.

Jon Beale made four changes to the side that lost narrowly to Sheffield Wednesday. James Yates came in for Brian Lenihan at right back and with Adam Curry having made a loan switch to Boston United, Robbie McKenzie dropped into the back four and Billy Chadwick came into the midfield. Greg Olley made his return from injury taking over from James Weir, who suffered a long-term injury against the Owls, whilst the final change saw Ben Hinchliffe come into the side for Tom Powell.

It was the hosts who started the brighter of the two teams, although they failed to create any real opportunities other than a low cross from Jacob Brown which somehow evaded everyone in the box.

Stephan Mallan was unlucky not to open the scoring when his fine strike from outside the box had Will Mannion well beaten but smacked against the crossbar.

Next it was the Tigers’ turn to hit the woodwork when Keane Lewis-Potter’s free-kick was deflected onto the post with Barnsley keeper Matthew Yates rooted to the spot. Lewis-Potter then did well as he went through and rounded Yates but he was forced wide and his cross was cleared before Greg Luer could apply the finishing touch.

Mannion produced a good save to deny Romal Palmer before Brown fired a left foot shot just wide from the edge of the box.

The game looked to be heading into the break without a first half goal until disaster struck on 44 minutes when Mannion attempted to control a back pass but only managed to turn the ball into his own net.

The visitors could have gone into the break on level terms when Tyler Hamilton and Yates combined down the right but Lewis-Potter couldn't convert the full-back's cross, firing wide of the target.

Barnsley increased their lead 13 minutes into the second period. Matthew Wolfe’s pass found Louis Wardle, who switched the ball onto his left foot and fired a shot into the top corner of the net.

Once again the Tigers had a chance for an immediate reply but Hinchliffe fired wide from Hamilton’s pass.

The game was effectively over on 63 minutes when the Tykes added a third goal. The impressive Mallan won possession inside the Tigers’ half, advanced to the edge of the box and fired a shot past Mannion into the bottom corner of the net.

Barnsley could have added to their lead but Brown headed wide at the far post, Mallan fired narrowly wide from the edge of the box and Mannion made a good save low to his left to keep out a good strike from Brown on what was an afternoon to forget for the young Tigers.

Barnsley: Matthew Yates, Dimitri Cavare (Adam Lund 55), Ben Williams, Jared Bird, Will Smith, Ethan Pinnock, Louis Wardle, Stephan Mallan, Jacob Brown, Matthew Wolfe (Kane Swinburn 83), Romal Palmer (Wilberforce Ocran 83).
Subs Not Used: Sam Fielding, Rhys Dolan.

Hull City: Will Mannion, James Yates (Ellis Barkworth 72), Brandon Fleming, Billy Chadwick, Lewis Ritson, Robbie McKenzie, Tyler Hamilton, Greg Olley, Greg Luer (Tom Powell 64), Keane Lewis-Potter, Ben Hinchliffe (Liam Edwards 72).
Subs Not Used: Harrison Foulkes, Josh Thacker.