In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

U18s Report: The Tigers 3 QPR 0

U18s Report: The Tigers 3 QPR 0

The Under-18s maintained their recent impressive form to make it three games unbeaten with a convincing 3-0 home win against Queens Park Rangers at Bishop Burton on Saturday morning.

Richard O’Donnell and Richard Naylor’s side produced a superb team display to secure all three points, with Ahmed Salam grabbing all three goals to ensure the visitors from London were swept aside in style.

The Tigers, fresh from a 1-0 win away at Colchester last weekend, were high on confidence and started the brighter of the two sides with Salam firing over the bar with just two minutes on the clock.

Mason Wilson-Rhiney came close to opening the scoring shortly after, getting on the end of a corner kick to force QPR keeper Marcin Brzozowski into a good save.

The home side continued to be dominant in the opening exchanges and it was Tyler Hamilton’s turn to have the next shot on goal after a powerful driving run saw him go past two defenders but his drilled shot was too close to Brzozowski, who was almost keeping his side in the game single-handedly.

The deadlock was finally broken after 18 minutes. Salam found himself in the right place at the right time as the keeper spilled a floated Marc Kelledy cross, dropping the ball straight to the winger, who was there to turn the ball into an empty net. 

So dominant were the home side that it took almost half an hour for the visitors to even register a shot, a Michael Klass free-kick that failed to work Johnny Saltmer in the City net, with the effort sailing over the bar.

On the half-hour mark, City should have doubled their lead after three chances in quick succession. Firstly Hamilton’s finessed shot worked Brzozowski, before parrying a long-range effort from Stephen Akbas straight to Wilson-Rhiney, who struck his effort against the crossbar. 

Max Sheaf carved out the next chance ten minutes later, releasing Wilson-Rhiney, who saw his effort well kept out by the QPR custodian.

Shortly after Elliot Holmes squandered a great chance to double the Tigers’ lead after finding space in the box, only to somehow manage to fire over the bar.

After being dominated for the majority of the first half, QPR came out after the interval fired up and created the first chance of the second half, a Jardel Francis shot which Saltmer collected easily.

The Tigers doubled their lead on the hour mark, with Salam also doubling his tally for the morning. A short corner was worked into the area towards the Egyptian-born wideman, who couldn’t miss from close range, coolly slotting the ball past a diving Brzozowski.

After Saltmer had done well to recover from a blunder to stop Francis from grabbing one back for the visitors, the ever-dangerous Wilson-Rhiney came close yet again, heading Holmes’ cross over the bar.

Salam missed a decent opportunity to claim his hat-trick ten minutes from time, failing to work Brzozowski after being played in by Kelledy.

However, Salam’s - and City’s - third of the game did come in the dying seconds after he showed good strength to hold off his marker before beating Brzozowski from a tight angle at the near post to wrap up an impressive win for the young Tigers.